Monday, September 8, 2008

Couch-to-5K: Week 2


Ok, well, I started week two of the Couch-to-5K program. On week two, you warm up for 5 min then jog for 90 seconds, then walk for 2 min. You do this for 20 min. Last week I did one min of jogging & 90 seconds of walking. I was really nervous about today. Even though the last few days of week 1 were much easier than the first two, I just couldn't figure out how I could keep up for another 30 seconds.

You really have no idea how long a second is until you are jogging, oxygen no longer agrees to enter your lungs, & your heart has decided to leave your body through your chest wall. Then, this amazing thing happens, time speeds up. I swear! When I have finally reached the walking part, time seems to speed up to about twice as fast. Maybe Einstein was on to something with his relativity theory.

Anyway, back to my story, during the last few seconds of the warm up I started praying, "Ok, Lord, here's your part. Don't expect much out of me. If you want me to do this you are going to have to do it for me." Well, I did it...or rather He did it through me. Either way, I finished day 1 of week 2. Can you believe it? The even more amazing this is that it didn't seem that hard. The first 90 seconds nearly killed me but after that it was like my body figured, "well, I guess if this crazy lady is actually going to do this we might as well join in." I did get the stich in my side but only for like 5 seconds & my lungs are pretty sore now but I feel great.

When I'm actually running I feel like a crazy person. My upper body has pretty good form from what I can guess but my legs seem to be going everywhere. I also feel like my feet are just plodding along. Like, bam, bam, bam, bam. I don't feel graceful at all. Maybe that will come with practice or maybe as I loose more weight. I at least hope so.

To make this even more amazing, I did this after working out with my trainer this morning. And, like a complete nut case, I got on the elliptical for 35 min after my jog/walk. I've completely lost it. It feels like some outside force is making these decisions for me. I stand there arguing with myself in my head as to whether I should do it or not. Today, on the elliptical, I kept saying to myself, "Oops, I accidently set it for 30 min instead of 25 min. I'll just cool down 5 min early. That will be fine. I mean, I still have to walk back to my apartment." But then I just kept going. The closer I got to 5 min left the more I would say, "Just see how you feel when you get to 5 min." But, I kept going.

I really don't know what has come over me. A girl who has forever dispised every exercise, rolled her eyes at athelets, got annoyed with even the mention of a gym, is now doing all of this? What is going on?! If I lived in a trailer park in the southwest, I would swear I had been abducted by aliens. The only explanation I can come up with is God. Now, tell me this, why am I surprised about that? I mean, I have been praying for this for a long time & now he has given this to me & I'm "surprised?!" What is the matter with me?! Do I really have that little of faith? We blame God & get angry with him when he says "no" or "wait" to our requests, but when he says "yes" we stand there with our mouths open unable to speak or move. No wonder Jesus got so aggrivated with the diciples.

I think I'm just going to do the C-to-5K thing on Mon, Wed, & Fri. I may change this up later but that seems to be the best for me right now. It, actually would be better if I did it on Tues, Thurs, & Sat or Sun but I have a hard time doing much of anything on Sat & Sun unless it is a video or something I do in the apartment. This will hopefully change once I can fit into my new bathing suit without looking like a fat Hooter's waitress. Ok, I'll probably always resemble one of them but I want to be able to look at least a little more presentable. Maybe in another 10 or 15 lbs. Anyway, then I hope to start going up to the gym on the weekends to swim. Especially on Sat night, after church, when I'm wide awake & everyone else is headed home. Wow, way to ramble, Kristy.

Okay, I'll end it here for now. I've got to get to bed. I'm already about an hour late getting there & after today I may never wake up. Hehe.

No comments: