Tuesday, September 9, 2008

4000 Questions: Question #15: Why were you given your name & does it have a special meaning?


I don't really know why I was named "Kristy" other than my parents liked that name. I know that they preferred spelling it with a "K" & a "Y." The spelling of my name is rarer than "Christie," "Christy," "Christi," or "Kristi." I use to hate that. I could never find anything, like key chains or stickers or pens, with my name spelled the right way. Every time I would see a rack with names I would search & search. Family members would always get excited when they found something with my name on it & they would usually get it for me. Which was great but again only happened 2 or 3 times. However, I have come to love the way my name is spelled. I love that it is rare. That seems to make it even more special. I think it is pretty too.

According to Behind the Name, "Kristy" is English & short for "Christina." Behind the Name goes on to say, "Christina is, "From Christiana, the Latin feminine form of CHRISTIAN. This was the name of an early, possibly legendary, saint who was tormented by her pagan father. It was also borne by a 17th-century Swedish queen and patron the arts who gave up her crown in order to become a Roman Catholic." That's pretty cool, huh?

My middle name is "Kay" & that is my mom's middle name. "Kay," according to Behind the Name, is also English & "short form of KATHERINE and other names beginning with K." It goes on to explore the male name of "Kay" also, which happens to come from Welsh mythology. "Possibly a Welsh form of GAIUS. Sir Kay was one of the knights of the Round Table in Arthurian legend."

According to How Many of Me, there are only 7 people in the US with my name (first & last). What is cool is that I've met 2 of those people. One, use to live in a town near where I grew up & another was a patient's mother that I ran into at the hospital one night. I guess I never actually "met" these two but I was fairly close to it at one time or another.



HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
7
people with my name in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

No comments: