Tuesday, August 19, 2008

4000 Questions: Question #2: Where did you go to school?


Ok, before I get to the question I've got to tell you about what happened yesterday. After I posted yesterday's question, I got an email from Blogger stating that I had a comment to moderate. I opened the comment & if was from the author, Barbara Ann Kipfer (that's her on the right)! Now, at first I wasn't sure if it really was her but I now think is was. Pretty cool, huh? Anyway, on to the question.


Question #2: Where did you go to school?

I started kindergarten at Malta Elem. in 1985. The next year I went to New Boston Elem. for about 6 weeks. I hated it. I cried everyday when I had to leave my mom's class room. It felt like I was there forever. I really don't remember having a difficult time there or why I didn't like it but I know I just didn't feel comfortable there. My mom moved me back to Malta for the remainder of my 1st grade year & I stayed there through 4th grade. In 5th grade, my mom got a teaching job at James Bowie Elem. (aka Simms) so we started going there. I then moved back to New Boston for high school.

My grandfather use to give my mom a hard time about moving me to so many schools but I really think it was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I never felt apprehensive about trying a new place or experience. When I went off to college, I wasn't afraid that I wouldn't make friends or be able to adapt. I learned how to get out of my comfort zone & learn new ways of doing things.

For the first two years of college, I went to the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, AR. My first year was awesome. My second year I started having a more difficult time with my old friend, depression. I had been pre-med. majoring in biology but I really didn't know if that was something I really wanted to do or not. I decided to go for a degree in radiologic technology instead. That way I could work in the health care sector & see how physicians work & then decide if that was something I thought I might like to spend a whole lot of money, time, & energy pursuing. (FYI, I am so glad I didn't go into medicine. They have way too much stress & responsibility.) So, in order to apply to rad. tech. school, I had to get a few more basics out of the way. I moved back home & finished those last few classes at Texarkana Community College.

I really enjoyed my time there. If I knew then what I know now, I probably would have attended TCC first off. It is an extremely small college but it is very nice. I would advise anyone to go there. I have no regrets about U of A but I thought TCC was a very nice school, indeed.

I was accepted into the University of Arkansas, Medical Sciences radiologic technology program in Texarkana. So, for 2 years I commuted the approx. 40 mins everyday to Texarkana for school. After that, I decided to go for one more year in order to get my bachelors degree. Most of those classes I took online but I had a couple I had to drive to Texarkana for.

I am not currently in school but I would love to teach radiologic technology one of these days, particularly at UAMS (even more particularly, in Fayetteville). I would like to go back & get my masters too but I would really like to go back & get a degree in journalism. I know, sounds way off. I have found in the last few years that I really love to write. I don't do it much but I do enjoy it when I do. I don't know what I want to write but I would love to have at least a few classes to guide me to figuring that out. I'm not sure if I would be any good but it is still something I'd like to try.

No comments: