Sunday, July 27, 2008

"The X-Files: I Want To Believe" Review

Brandie, Betty, & I saw The X-Files: I Want To Believe on Saturday. The X-Files was a great paranormal TV show from 1993 - 2002. In 1998, they produced The X-Files the movie. From what I remember, it did not do well at the box office & if the turn out at the theater on Saturday is any sign this one will do no better. Having said that, I did enjoy this one, much more than the first one.

What many die hard X-Files fans may not like about this film is that it deals very little with the paranormal. In fact, the story is more crime fiction than sci-fi. So, those of you hoping to see if our questions, do the "little green men" really exist, will Mulder ever find his sister, will Scully finally believe, etc..., are answered, may be disappointed, once again. However, this may be the true genius of The X-Files. We continue to return time after time hoping the tension will be broken. If the truth was revealed, would we still be drawn to this story? I'm not sure. It seems that most shows that break this "tension" usually fail soon after.

So, would I recommend this film? Sure, it's worth a watch, maybe even more so for those who are into crime shows but not so caught up in paranormal stories. Both fans can enjoy this film. For a little lighthearted humor stay, after the credits roll.

I'll give it a "B-." I thought it was pretty good but I probably won't watch it again.

PS: Here is a video review that I totally agree with. X Files I Want To Believe Movie Review


Discussion Questions from Christianity Today:

1. Compare and contrast Mulder and Scully's views of the world. Who has a greater grasp of "the truth"? What do they both need to learn?

2. What did you think of Father Joe? Do you think he can be forgiven for his crimes? Does he seem genuinely repentant?

3. Do you believe in psychic phenomena like Father Joe's visions? Has God ever used visions and dreams to communicate with people?

4. What do you think of the closing scene in the hospital. Is the scientist being brave and noble? Do the protestors have valid concerns?

No comments: