Sunday, July 13, 2008

Movie Review: Hancock


So Kim & I went to see Hancock at Studio Movie Grill last night. I really enjoyed the movie. I think Kim only thought it was okay.

The Christianity Today review kind of talked like it was your typical superhero movie but I don't really agree. I thought it was very well done. Yes, it is mainly about a man with super powers coming to terms with his gift, or as his curse as he has come to think of it, but there are deeper issues surrounding his struggle. There are several twists in the movie that I was not really expecting especially the big revelation (if you've seen it, then you'll know what I'm talking about).

One thing some people may not like is that about 2/3rds of the way through the movie an entire new plot is thrown in & the plot from the beginning is pretty much abandoned. Now, normally, I hate this kind of think (for example Spider Man 3, I did not like the movie due to so many plots) However, in my opinion, it is nicely wrapped up in the end. And, now that I think about it, even though those are two huge plots, they are really only subplots to the main one, a man coming to terms with his gift/destiny/mission. Speaking of the ending. I wasn't thrilled; it was kind of corny but it was okay & it did not detract from the film as a whole, I feel. Also, just a heads up, don't leave the theater right away. There is a little snippet as the credits are rolling. Don't worry, it is really short & it isn't important or anything, so if you are dying to hit the bathroom from all that soda & popcorn you really won't miss that much.

So, in the end, it was no X-Men but it was much better than Spider Man 3. I would probably rate it there with the new Incredible Hulk. I know most reviews didn't give it good ratings but I think it is definitely worth watching at least once.


Discussion Questions (from CT article):

1. Do you see any parallels between the way Hancock is treated by the public and the current political scene in America?

2. What parallels do you see between Hancock and Ray in the way they approach altruism?

3. What does the film have to say about sacrifice?

4. Late in the film, Mary says, "Fate doesn't account for everything. We have a choice." Is her statement justified by film's end?

No comments: