Wednesday, February 11, 2009

News: Assisted suicide now legal in Washington

clipped from pewforum.org

Assisted suicide law: Now for the rules

February 9, 2009

by John Iwasaki
Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Longtime patients are familiar with filling out forms from physicians and health insurers, but not like this one.

Called a "Request for Medication to End My Life in a Humane and Dignified Manner," the proposed form would be used by terminally ill Washington residents to initiate a specified process that would lead to their deaths.

"I understand the full import of this request and I expect to die when I take the medication to be prescribed," the form states. "I further understand that although most deaths occur within three hours, my death may take longer and my physician has counseled me about this possibility."

On March 5, Washington will become the second state after Oregon to allow physicians to legally prescribe lethal medication to terminally ill patients given six months or less to live. The patients must voluntarily ask for the drug and self-administer it.

 blog it



I totally understand people wanting this but I just don't know how I feel about making it legal. What are you guys' thoughts?

No comments: