Sunday, October 26, 2008

Movie Review: Iron Man


I really enjoyed this movie. Like most superhero movies, there was a bit of ridiculousness. I don't mind the whole "ridiculousness" of the superhero but it is some of the situations that have nothing to do with the "superheroness." But, that's okay. The other complaint I have with this movie was the writing at least for the scene between Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.) and Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow) where she is helping him repair his heart thing. Another thing that bugged me was Jeff Bridges. I've never cared much for him. He kind of irks me a bit. And what was with that ridiculous beard?

I do like Robert Downey, Jr. & I'm glad to see he has gotten his life back on track (or at least appears to have) & is back to making movies.

The closing scene was by far the best part of this movie. One of the best endings I've seen in a while. Also, I'm sure that this soundtrack would, undoubtedly, be awesome.

So, I guess I'm all ready for the next ones. Yes, there are to be more. In fact, they are in pre-production now for Iron Man 2 & with the way The Incredible Hulk ended, there is to be an expectation of Iron Man showing up in the next Hulk film.

I would definitely recommend this movie. It is not going to be one that goes down in history as being a "great," but it is a nice escape from reality for a couple of hours & a necessisty if you are keeping up with the superhero movies. It is rated PG-13 & that is mainly because of violence (bombs, shooting, explosions, etc...no extreme graphicness) & Tony is a bit of a "lady's man."

I give this film a "B." It is worth a watch if for no other reason than to be prepared to answer movie trivia questions in some future version of Scene It. :)

4 comments:

Paul's Thoughts said...

I saw this film in May. Yeah, Iron Man was entertaining and it was a really interesting choice to put Robert Downey Jr into the main lead for this film. He is 43, and yes your right Kristy, is is great to see him trying to make a come back after falling into substance abuse in the nineties (heroin, cocaine, etc), I think he did an awesome job in the film.

Unknown said...

Yeah, in "Hollywood" men can continue to be cast as cool, sexy, & action on into their later years. Just look at Harrison Ford. LOL However, it seems like women stop being sexy & powerful when they hit their mid 30's.

I also find it hilarious that most of the older actors are paired with 20 year old women. I don't have any problem with age difference but when it is the other way around we all seem to find it ridiculous. It isn't right but I must admit that when I hear of a woman marring someone 10+ years younger than her I am very skeptical of it but when the man is the older I don't question it as much. Very sad.

AngelasFat said...

I really wanted to see this film but have not seen a movie in the theaters since about 2001. Sad huh? That's life with kids.

Unknown said...

Personally, I prefer to watch a movie at home. You can pause it when you need to run to the bathroom, you can have much more healthier snacks, you can (at least in my case) do other things while watching the movie (like blog, play solitaire, or what ever), you can rewind if you didn't exactly catch what just happened or if you cowatchers decide to talk, & most importantly, you don't have to sit next to the big guy with BO who insists on confiscating the entire arm rest & crunching his large popcorn as loudly as possible (unless of course that describes you husband or dad).