Thursday, March 12, 2009

Politics: "Obama Vows Crackdown on Earmarks"

clipped from www.cbn.com

Obama Vows Crackdown on Earmarks

The talks come on the same day he signed a $410 billion government spending bill criticized for having too many of those pet projects.
Obama explained that he had no choice but to sign the bill which funds the government and was left over from last year's Congress.
"I am signing an imperfect omnibus bill because it is necessary for the ongoing functions of government," Obama said. "But I also view this as a departure point for more far-reaching change."
The bill has drawn widespread criticism because it's said to have close to 8,000 earmarks in it. While on the campaign trail, Obama promised to clean up wasteful government spending.
"If my administration evaluates an earmark and determines that it has no legitimate public purpose, we will seek to eliminate it," he said Wednesday.
 blog it


There is a great video on the site that I could not clip for some reason.

"No choice" Really?! Am I mistaken but doesn't he have the power to veto?

I also love how he blames the previous Congress instead of "the buck stops here" approach. Quite typical. Everything bad in this world apparently can be blamed on the Bush administration.

The rest I'm just too flabbergasted (yet not surprised) to comment on.

No comments: