Sunday, January 25, 2009

Movie Review: Underworld: Rise of the Lycans


Underworld: Rise of the Lycans is the third installment in the Underworld trilogy. After Kate Beckinsale decided she did not want to make anymore werewolf vs. vampire movies, it was decided that the Underworld movies would continue with prequel.

Rise of the Lycans revisits the story of the beginning of the war between the lycans & the vampires. It is a forbidden love story that leads to the uprising of a group of beings that cast off their chains of slavery & fight for their freedom.

I really enjoyed this film & feel it redeemed the second installment, Evolution, which I felt was a huge waste of money & time. The fight scenes in this movie are quite graphic & there is a sex scene that if you are sensitive scenes you may want to skip this film, but other than that, I thought it was quite enjoyable. I will give it an A-. I would have given it an A but the fight scenes were a bit difficult to see what was happening due to the darkness & the quickness of the filming & the sex sceen & graphic nature of the fight scene were a bit unnecessary if you ask me.

If you liked Underworld, then, I believe, you will love this one too. :)

4 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

HEy thanks for the review girl! Been wanting to see this one. I was kind of disappointed Kate didn't do this movie. I had hoped they didn't make a big mistake by putting someone else in there but she is not actually replacing Kate as they went back in time.
I think that was a huge mistake on the last installment of the Mummy movies. When they replaced whats her name? as Evie. The new actress was a pale comparison to the other. And the movie bombed in my opinion though my hubby was still well pleased. I will probably go see this new underworld though your warning about the sex scenes have me a little worried. My hubby and i have walked out of movies where the sex scenes were unneccessarily graphic. So we'll see. Movies cost so much to just walk out of. I know i'm getting long........sorry i guess you know us when we get going..LOL! But i wanted to tell you about an awesome movie i just watched from Netflix. Its called 'Neverwas' I've never heard of it but it had some big name actors in it and the description had the mention of castles, kings ,knights you know the stuff that grabs my attention. LOL! It had Nick Nolte, Brittany Murphy, Aaron Eckhart,Ian Mckellan. Not bad huh? Well girl i LOVED it! Maybe its not right up there with the great movies, and maybe it never made it to the big screen because i don't remember it, maybe you do??? But it was definately a GOOD movie! See ya Jinx!

Unknown said...

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't have noticed that it was a different girl if I hadn't already known that before going in. They look amazingly alike.

I agree with the Mummy. I kind of wish I hadn't seen it now. :P

The sex scene really isn't that bad at all. It is very short. In fact, I thought it was pretty reserved for an R rated film.

I'll have to check that film out. I'm not a fan of Nolte, & Murphy really annoys me but I love, love, love McKellan. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

jinxxxygirl said...

McKellan was brilliant!Did you see Murphy in 'Don't say a word' ? Thats probably the only movie other than Neverwas that i like her in. Both Nolte and Murphy have smaller parts , Aaron Eckhart and McKellan had the biggest parts. Jinx

Unknown said...

I just went to add "Neverwas" to my Netflix & it was already in my queue. How funny is that? hehe